I'm turning 28 the first week of March and felt inspired to write a post on 28 things I've learned within my lifetime, so far. I was feeling inspired and currently have time to work on it, so I figured why not? Plus 79% of you voted for me to post it sooner rather than later! If I learn anything spectacular between now and the next 23 days, I'll be sure to update the list (lol). I hope that sharing my viewpoints can help us get to know each other better and that it uplifts those who need it!
1. Don’t take everything personally. In my early twenties I believed everything was personal, but one thing I have accepted recently is that most things aren’t always as personal as they feel. And sometimes they are, but you must learn how to gauge the difference.
2. Social media isn’t everything. It can be a great tool, but ultimately it does not define the worth of your personal life or financial success.
3. Be patient. Not just in your long-term goals, but with day-to-day moments. When life begins to test you: pause, take a breath, and push through it with grace.
4. Life isn’t fair, but don't let it keep you down. After a traumatic event my former roommate once told me, “Just because you are a good person doesn’t mean bad things won’t happen to you,” and it always stuck with me. Being a good person doesn’t make you invincible. Stay aware and protect yourself.
5. Smile, even if they don’t smile back.
6. Time and money are valuable, be picky with how you spend it.
7. Success does not occur linearly.
8. Keep yourself in check so others don’t have to.
9. Enjoy your alone time. It's much needed to stay in tune with yourself and your happiness.
10. Don’t give in to peer pressure. Stand your ground and stick up for what you believe in.
11. Put effort into Agape, Eros, Philia, and Storge kind of love.
12. People who spread hate often have deep rooted issues.
13. It’s impossible to know your deepest wants and desires if they are constantly drowned in distractions. Know your vices.
14. The hangover isn’t always worth it.
15. Don’t force it. The job, the relationship, going to the event, the foot into the shoe.
16. Ride the wave.
17. Follow your intuition. If something feels “off” it probably is. If something doesn’t feel right it probably isn’t. Don’t doubt yourself.
18. Be sure your words and actions align.
19. Be brutally honest in the most respectful way.
20. Don’t impulsively over divulge.
21. Speak up for yourself and others in need who cannot do it for themselves.
22. Know when to apologize and admit you are wrong.
23. Be resilient. I wasn’t dealt an easy deck in life, so one trait I really pride myself on is my ability to bounce back after a rough time. “Pressure makes diamonds.”
24. Styles change, love your own features.
25. Don’t ever get too comfortable. Stay on your toes, life is unexpected.
26. Make time every week to learn something new or partake in a hobby you love.
27. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Be creative with it.
28. Get plenty of sleep. Rest when you’re tired. Take that nap. Go to bed early if you have to.
Now, it's your turn! What are the top lessons you've learned? What's the best guidance you've received from someone else? Let me know in the comments below.